One of the most well known Korean foods is tteokbokki with the traditional red sauce made primarily of gochujang or red pepper paste. It’s commonly found in the streets of Korea and at almost every “bunshik” restaurant. It’s delicious, but often times foreigners have difficulty eating because it is so spicy.
An alternative version of this dish is gunjung tteokbokki. It’s an easy to make Korean food recipe that takes the classic dish and makes a version that is strikingly similar to japchae. It’s a stir fried version that consists mainly of soy sauce and sesame oil. It’s delicious and familiar. If you and your family loved the classic version, you must trying making this recipe at home.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- 1 lb of long rice cakes(2 inch long)
- 3 tbsp of soy sauce
- 2 tsp of sesame oil
- 4 oz of lean beef (sirloin or rib eye)
- 4-5 pieces of shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 2 tsp of rice wine
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Pepper to taste.
- 1 medium carrot
- 1/2 medium size of sweet onion
- 1/2 medium sized zucchini
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil
RECIPE INGREDIENTS (For The Sauce)
- 2 tbsp of soy sauce
- 2 tsps of sugar
- 1 tsp of sesame oil
- 1 tsp of sesame seeds
- 1 garlic clove, minced.
- First in a medium sized pot, add water and boil.
- Add about 1 tbsp of salt (optional) and add the rice cake pieces. At the store, you may have bought the long version. Before adding into the water, you want to make sure each rice cake piece is about 2 inches.
- Once cooked, the pieces should float to the top.
- Drain out the pot and leave the rice cake pieces in. Do not rinse as it’ll harden.
- Immediately add 2 tbsp of soy sauce and 1 tsp of sesame oil and set it aside.
- Now, take the beef and slice into 2 inch long pieces.
- Cut the stems off the shiitake mushrooms and also slice into 1/4 inch strips. Mix in 1 tbsp of soy sauce, 1 tsp of sesame oil,vegetable oil, sugar, rice wine, minced garlic and a pinch of pepper. Leave this on the side and let it marinate.
- Take the zucchinis and cut in half and then into thin slices. Also thinly slice the onions and carrots into about 2 inch long pieces.
- In a pan, saute the vegetables and sprinkle some salt over them.
- Now, in the same pan, add the beef and mushrooms, the rice cakes and remaining ingredients and saute together for a few minutes.
- If needed, you can add additional soy sauce or sugar if you need.